What is it about a home that makes ants look at it and go, “Huh, I should invade that”? Are these pests born with an innate sense of where food is, and just automatically know that your home’s full of it? Is there a reason why they build nests around yards but still find their way indoors? Why do ants come into homes here in Northwest Arkansas? We have your answers, along with a few simple tips and tricks to keep these pests outside where they belong.
Types Of Ants That Live In Northwest Arkansas
Northwest Arkansas is home to a few different species of ants, including odorous house ants, acrobat ants, argentine ants, fire ants, and carpenter ants. Of these species, some prefer to build their nests indoors and will do so during the colder months of the year. Others will only invade homes when they are hungry to scavenge for food.
More often than not, ant infestations start with a wandering scout. This scout enters into a home through an opening and searches around for sources of food and water. If a substantial source is found, they will return to their colony and leave a pheromone trail behind, which is how lines of ants end up in your kitchen and living areas.
What Problems Do Ants Cause?
Different species of ants cause different problems. Odorous house ants produce a pungent odor when stepped on or disturbed. Pavement ants dig massive colonies around driveways and sidewalks, creating an eyesore for homeowners and people walking by. One species of ant in our area, Pharoah ants, carry and transmit disease-causing bacteria. Some of the most common diseases homeowners contract from these pests include salmonellosis and staphylococcus. As bad as these problems are, no ants are as bad as carpenter ants. These larger insects tunnel their homes into structures of wood. If these pests choose your property as their next construction project, you could be looking at thousands of dollars in repair costs.
Ways To Detract Ants
Since ants are drawn into homes by food, water, and shelter, your goal should be to limit their access to these things around your property. To make this job easier for you, here are eight simple prevention tips our experts recommend:
- Thoroughly investigate your home’s exterior for any cracks, gaps, or openings. Seal up these entry points using a caulk gun, steel wool, or some liquid cement.
- Inspect your home for leaky piping and repair any leaks you find.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around your property, and make sure your gutters are in good working condition.
- Use a dehumidifier inside your home, especially around areas known for being humid such as basements, crawlspaces, and laundry rooms.
- Repair damage and address problems with your home’s window/door screens, weatherstripping, and door sweeps.
- Avoid feeding your pets outdoors and clean out their bowls after every meal.
- Be careful not to leave food out where ants can find it, and store it inside airtight containers.
- Keep your home as clean as possible, and pick up any food messes and drink spills as they occur.
Your Best Solution To Ant Problems
If you are looking for a guaranteed way to eliminate and keep out ants, hire Rumble Pest Solutions. Our team will implement long-term solutions to make sure pests stay outside where they belong.
Call our team today to discuss your service options and find a plan that best fits your Northwest Arkansas home’s needs.